Saturday, August 21, 2010

In Which We Eat, and Eat, and Eat...

I know I haven't written in a while,. but that's because I've been off doing Science, visiting a Professor and several other Scientists at a workshop at Indiana University. Well, a workshop of a sorts. The various participants have all worked on aspects of the same project over a 20-year period, and The Professor decided it was time we wrote A Book. So we all got together to brainstorm the content and outline of the book.

Of course, many of the collaborators hadn't seen each other in years, so while there was much socializing, we really did knuckle down and talk science from 9 a.m. until after 5 p.m. It was exhausting. My brain is tired from so much thinking. And I think for a living!

But, perhaps more importantly, we ate, and ate. You see, The Professor has always been proud that, as the Project Director, when we were in the field, there was lots of food. And good food, too, despite being in the Middle of Nowhere, a.k.a., Deep in the Jungle. And Bloomington, it turns out, is a fine eatin' town. A fine eatin' town!  We ate at the Irish Lion Pub (fish and chips, and Irish apple walnut cake), at an Afghan restaurant called Samira (chicken manto, with a delicious eggplant starter), at an Indian restaurant (Taste of India, where The Professor had ordered a smorgasbord of Indian delights--2 veggie, 2 chicken), at a Thai restaurant, Siam House (tofu and veggie stir fry and a Chai tea) and finally, at The Farm, which specializes in using locally grown organic foods (and where a project alumni has found his calling as chef de cuisine). I had that night's special, which was brisket, smashed potatoes, and sauteed greens. They brought out a huge bowl of parmesan and garlic fries to tide us over while we waited for some of our party to arrive (by themselves they would have kept me supremely happy, trust me, they were that good), and the chef sent out a delicious crab appetizer. Blackberry tart with tea for dessert, and a Blueberry Chiller cocktail started all that gustatory heaven. All were outstanding and delicious, and I think I gained 10 lbs. No joke, the final night, when I returned to my hotel, the button on my pants popped off.

1 comment: