Friday, July 12, 2013

Where Would I Live, the Television Version

Okay, we know from past summers that it's usually around this time of the year, when it's 108 degrees Farenheit out there (41 degrees Celcius for the rest of the world), when it's very humid as the rainy season settles in, when it's too hot to cook or garden or even think, that I start dreaming of living elsewhere.

This year, I've narrowed my choices to two small villages depicted in television shows I watched over the winter. Port Isaac is the setting for the fictional Portwenn in the Doc Martin television series, which my PBS station started showing last year.

My second choice is Downham, Lancashire, where exteriors for the television show Born and Bred were shot. Coincidentally or not, my PBS station also started showing this program last year. Maybe PBS is telling me to move?

Pros of Port Isaac: ocean, and gorgeous ocean views; narrow, winding streets; lovely architecture; what, is that snow in one photo?

Pros of Downham: green; green, and green; beautiful stone architecture; narrow, winding lanes; babbling brooks; what, are those kilts in one photo?

Both offer something I don't really have and which I usually miss out here--green and water. Big trees, expanses of lawn, acres of flower beds, sunlight dancing on waves, sea birds wheeling overhead, gorgeous views with lots of walking paths. I can completely see the dogs and I taking our daily constitutionals on any of these paths.

Le sigh. I wish I could do my job from one of those places.

No comments:

Post a Comment