Saturday, October 2, 2010

In Which I Find a Mossy Nest

I spent a few hours this morning in my sadly neglected backyard, madly pruning my Texas ranger.Texas rangers are quite forgiving, and can stand a heavy-handed pruning. It had been 2 years since I did a really good trim of the bushes. Look what I found when cleaning up--a little hummingbird nest! It may have been from this year, or perhaps last. It's been vacated a long time, though. Naturally I then felt totally guilty at hacking down the scraggly, out of control shrubs that provided a safe haven. Ah well, maybe she'll return next spring and build another nest. By then, the bushes should have rebounded from my pruning and filled in nice and thick. I'm fascinated by how the lady hummingbird wove plastic into the nest matrix. I can't tell if any of my dog hair is in there. I hope so; it would make a perfectly soft and snuggly nest.


No comments:

Post a Comment