Friday, October 12, 2012

I Went to California...

...and met some donkeys (that's burros to you) on the road. The little brown guy heard me telling Greg to give him my apples (which Greg didn't, I might add). I think he's giving Greg the stink-eye.




The Colorado River looked so inviting. I miss water.



Now, you know I cannot resist those little historical markers on the side of the road. I have to check them out. You never know where they will lead, what forgotten gem or incident or person they memorialize. Luckily, neither can Greg, so we slammed on the brakes and went back to see what one we'd passed commemorated. It was a sign for the Blythe Intaglios, prehistoric human and animal figures that were made by removing the desert pavement (varnished pebbles that sit atop the desert surface). Here's just one of them (these are not the easiest things to photograph from the ground surface, so follow the link to see much better photos).


Then, as Greg had never been to Palm Canyon or the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge, we stopped there for a brief hike. The road up to the canyon (and our Rav in there for scale). The mountains in the  background are 30 miles away.


The famous palms (these are a remnant native palm colony).




The view from the top of the trail.


 

1 comment: