Thursday, April 1, 2010

In Which We Pick Grapefruit

Grapefruit in its natural state is not a perfectly circular orb.



They are lumpy and squat and  big or small or lopsided.




I have a grapefruit tree that has something like 14 dozen fruit every year. And I hate grapefruit. I've given bags of them to neighbors, foisted them on unsuspecting coworkers, and donated them to the Community Food Bank.

This year, I brought them to work, I left them on doorsteps, I gave them to friends who took them to their workplaces, and then I had a little grapefruit picking party. My coworker D and her kids R and A came over, picked fruit, and then we ate pumpkin cookies. And then, they took the fruit to the Community Food Bank for me. Seventy-two pounds of grapefruit. 72! And there are still lots of fruit ripe for picking. Now, to find me an unsuspecting fruit lover...

No comments:

Post a Comment