Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Universe Is Mocking Me

We all know 2013 was a very stressful year for me, with Mr. Big sick for half of it, and a new puppy. Exercise went out the window, although at least through November I was still able to walk the two younger dogs every morning. When Biggie got so sick in November, that walk time became clean up after Mr. Big time, or coax Mr. Big to eat breakfast so he can get his insulin time. Even the dog walks went out the window.

What came back through the window? About 8 lbs of fat that settled on my stomach. These were on top of the five or so that had crept on over the past few years, partly due to stress and partly due to aging. After all, my friend perimenopause has moved in, after making a few occasional visits, and so she's brought luggage with her now.

Friday of last week I stepped on the scale and saw a number I'd never seen before. It was Time for Action.

Several years ago I went on the South Beach Diet to lose 5 or 10 lbs, and wound up easily losing 14 lbs. It's a bear, that Phase 1, but I figured it would probably work again, so Friday morning, after the shock had worn off, I vowed to start Phase 1 again. Friday was fine, Saturday I was starving and craving comfort food--I cheerily admit to loving my sweets and bread. Sunday I was fine, and then Monday dawned.

Monday. My coworker went to my favorite bakery and brought a loaf of bread in for us to use to sample his homemade orange marmalade. And then two coworkers brought their daughters around to all our cubicles, selling Girl Scout Cookies. I cannot resist a 5-year-old cutie in a blue visit quietly and politely asking "Would you like to buy Girl Scout cookies?" with her tow-headed, equally adorable brother (a Cub Scout) with her.

Why oh why is the Universe mocking me???

On the plus side, 1 lb lost Saturday morning, about 1 lb. lost Sunday morning, not quite 0.5 lbs lost Monday morning, 1lb.lost Tuesday morning. About the same rate of loss as last time, although at a different pace. Last time, I lost 2 lbs the first day, 2 lbs the second day, nothing days 3 and 4, and then about one-half or 1 lb a day till I'd lost 14 lbs total. Yes, I kept a record, and I only took it down off the bathroom wall in December. I should have left it up.

I am tired of lettuce and onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment