Friday, July 2, 2010

In Which I Hike the AT

A small portion of the Appalachian Trail crosses the northwestern part of New Jersey, some of it through High Point State Park. While I was on vacation last week, I hiked a short length of it. Gorgeous! Overwhelming verdure for this desert dweller. Silence, except for a few birds twittering invisibly in the canopy somewhere. Solitude, not a single person for most of the time. I met two brothers who were walking the New Jersey section of the AT, from the Delaware Water Gap to the New York State Line. I also walked sections of two other trails, including the Iris trail. I do so want to return and hike some more. It was so peaceful, so relaxing. I felt as if I'd stepped back in time into the late 1700s, when New Jersey was a beautiful paradise of small farms and woodland, stretching as far as the eye could see. What a beautiful jewel tucked away in the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment